Poor posture can be the cause of back, neck and jaw pain. In the daytime, we have control over our posture to reduce straining these areas. However, at night, this becomes far more challenging. For this reason, our sleeping posture/position is very important.
Sleep postures that are uncomfortable or cause pain can keep us from getting the rest we need. Here are some quick tips to help make sleeping more restful:
- When lying on your back, place a pillow under your thighs and knees to keep your back from arching. Use 1 pillow under your head to keep your spine in a more comfortable, neutral position.
- If you lie on your side, use a firm pillow between your knees. This will reduce stress on your hips and
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach, as this can flatten the natural curve of your spine and lead to pain.
- If you must lie on your stomach, support your spine with pillows under your head, stomach, and legs. Your pillow should support your neck and help it rest in a healthy and balanced position.
- You can easily roll a towel at home and place it under your neck and back for support.
Talk to your physical therapist if you need help finding the correct sleeping position for you.